School superintendent salaries, public school spending, student performance and issues related to Michigan’s new right-to-work law were the most popular items on our website in 2013. A database listing the compensation packages of every public school superintendent in the state by far received the most hits of any item posted at www.mackinac.org or www.michcapcon.com between Jan. 1, 2013, and Dec. 18, 2013.
In an odd quirk, the top item of 2012 remained one of the most popular in 2013. Research Associate Jarrett Skorup’s story about the city of Detroit’s water department employing a horseshoer due to an antiquated union agreement received a large number of hits in 2012 after being linked on the Drudge Report news aggregator and also receiving attention from the likes of Fox News and The Wall Street Journal. It shot back to popularity as an example of Detroit’s fiscal problems when the Motor City declared bankruptcy last summer.
It should be noted that the list below is not scientific, however, but rather based on page views relative to posting dates.
- Michigan Public School Superintendent Compensation Database
- Making Michigan Home Again
- Teachers Sue MEA to Escape Union
- Steffke, Metz and Rhatigan v. Taylor Federation of Teachers
- Michigan Public Elementary and Middle School Report Card
- Michigan Public High School Report Card
- No Horses, But Detroit Water Department Employs ‘Horseshoer’
- Minimum Wage Increase — A Serious Effort or Just Rhetoric?
- Average Teacher Salary in Michigan Rises Again
- Lawsuit Alleges Wind Power a Threat to Health and Safety
- Big Hollywood Bailout: Taxpayers Spent Nearly $40 Million to Subsidize Disney’s ‘Oz’
- MSU English Professor Threatens Students in Anti-Republic Rant
- District Spent $20K per Student, had Rodents in Schools, Holes in Ceilings and Walls
- State Tax Chief Encourages Inspectors to Enter Homes
- Union Tries to Shame Ex-Members
- Five Reasons the Government Shouldn’t Subsidize Higher Education
- Huffington Post Gets Charter School Story Wrong
- Eight Senate Republicans Join Democrats in Passing Obamacare Medicaid Expansion
- Public Employee Pension Systems Raided to Pay Film Studio Bills
- While Local Governments Fight Food Trucks, State Subsidizes Some of Them
- Higher Cigarette Taxes Create Lucrative, Dangerous Black Market
- Right-to-Work States Have Higher Incomes
- How Much has the Detroit Police Force Really Been Cut?
- United States Spends More Per Pupil Than Any Country in the World
- Lighting Water On Fire?