The Mackinac Center for Public Policy seeks an energetic, well-organized individual to oversee the editing of the Center’s online and print publications. The Mackinac Center is a nonpartisan research and educational institute dedicated to improving the quality of life for all Michigan residents by promoting sound solutions to state and local policy questions.
The Editor is responsible for editing the Mackinac Center’s publications and materials to ensure appropriate clarity, style and tone consistent with both proper English usage and the Center’s mission. This position reports to the Marketing and Communications Team Leader. The position is located at the Center’s headquarters in Midland, Mich.
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience
- Commitment to free-market solutions to public policy problems
- Excellent grammar and writing skills
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy and clarity
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel, meet deadlines and work effectively under time pressure
- Mastery of AP Style
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products and EndNote
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Experience in a public policy arena is preferred
- Provide oversight of the day-to-day editorial process.
- Maintain the appropriate Mackinac Center tone for written communication.
- Serve as the editor of the Center’s bimonthly magazine, IMPACT. Ensure that content is engaging and informative and maintains a visually appealing layout in collaboration with the Marketing and Design Director.
- Manage the assignment, editing and publication of Center periodicals and irregular publications under the supervision of the Marketing and Communications Team Leader. Publications include IMPACT, Viewpoints on Public Issues, guest editorials, letters to the editor, press releases, promotional materials and online content on the Center’s website, www.mackinac.org.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external authors to refine the quality of the Center’s written products.
- Copy-edit and line-edit research publications.
- Organize and catalog the Center’s produced videos with proper descriptions, titles and tags.
- Assist in the preparation of any other publications and materials as needed.
- Participate in Marketing and Communications Team strategy meetings.
- The editor shall, when time allows, write for Center publications where his or her expertise can further the Center’s mission.
Compensation is commensurate with ability and experience. A writing and skills test will be part of the evaluation process. If you would like to be considered for this position, please send a cover letter describing your alignment with the Center’s mission, your resume and a writing sample to:
Vice President for Operations
Fax: (989) 631-0964
While we thank all applicants for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those whom we are considering for an interview. No telephone calls, please.